Sunday, January 4, 2009

shoveling and snow

After buying my home in the city we had a large snowfall. After the first flake hit the ground my neighbor was immediately at my door telling me i had to shovel in front of my house and out approx 3 feet into the street. This would be the area that would contain a sidewalk if I had one in front of my house. All owners with a sidewalk were responsible for shoveling the sidewalk in front of their house for foot traffic. I was also told that if I failed to do this then I could and would be ticket by the city for failure to shovel and therefore putting people in harms way( namely: her). I smiled and was very happy to receive the demand and looked for snowflake number two.
Throughout my time at my home I have shoveled, I have swept and I have cleaned the area I live. In the winter I put ice melt and sand out on the stairs and in front and in the spring I sweep it up. In the fall when leaves blow in, I sweep. The area in front of my house takes a great deal of work and if I lag, my neighbors are right here to remind me while their places become delapidated.
This year, in the fall alot of leaves flew into our street and living area and got caught in front of the hopuses.Neighbor A (accross the street) told neighborC (renters next to me) that they needed to clean their leaves because they were blowing down to house A and getting caught in their stairsway. Neighbor A told me this and I just shook my head and agreed. Why did renter/house C not realize they to held some sort of responsibility? Was the surface of the constant struggle or renter vs. owner?
I immediately grabbed my broom and scretly swept everything back up to house C just to be blown back to house A.

No comments:

Post a Comment