Sunday, January 11, 2009

snow=death

With the snow that fell in Boston I am obviously inspired to post. I live in an area where parking is a commodity. If you have a private spot you are considered rich and living easy and if you don't you are in war of wits, time and it may be bloody.
Just the forecast of "'+ put people all over in a tizzy. People rush to the supermarket to buy milk and bread. Everyone panics and needs provisions immediately. I also find it very strange that even if there is no snow that people feel it is their right to put trash barrels out in the street to hold a spot "just in case". In case they suddenly own the street apparently.
I was out and about the night prior to the storm and when I came home there were barrels, chairs, and bins all over the street holding spots.
It fits perfectly if I say here that although this is the point of my discontent I hesitate removing them. I know that if I am seen by ANYONE they will tell on me and I could be killed. Taking these actions is no joke, believe me.
I have heard stories of the neighborhood and words on the street. One neighbor who is so sickeningly sweet. One of those people that are so nice and smile so much when you talk that it is annoying. She is a local. She told me last winter she came home and there was an unmarked spot and she took it since it was late and it was unmarked. In the morning she came out and found "Asshole" keyed into her car! So, she was driving around talking out her window and it said asshole right below! And again, she is the sweetest thing ever. When I gasped in disbelief at this story she just shrugged and said " the spot wasn't marked".
So now the streets are all slush and a mess and there really is no accumulation and yet people still have bins out. This seems super nervy to me on so many fronts. Who are these people that hid in the shadows?
On another note. One of the people on my street refuses to shovel. After the snow packs down due to foot traffic it turns to ice. I nearly died there one day so I took it upon myself. I wrote on an envelope " Shovel please" and strategically placed it. I should have known, the note never disappeared and no shoveling happened. How people can be so ignorant stuns me. They take the time to shovel a spot and leave their sidewalk shear ice..
and as my last point. we are over 48 hrs to trash day and my neighbors trash is out! Are these ppl insane? She told me they were scared they wouldn't be able to get the trash out in event of more snow!
see: trash chronicles(prior post)

2 comments:

  1. http://www.cityofboston.gov/mayor/24/

    Report your shoveling-challenged neighbors to the mayor's office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete